Mind MD
Mind MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD

Iam a 57 year old male currently taking 75mg of Elavil for

Iam a 57 year old male currently taking 75mg of Elavil for 16 years for SAD. How hard would it be to change to a newer antidepressent. Or maybe lower the dose of Elavil and augment it with somthing newer ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mind MD replied 7 years ago.
Why are you interested in changing over to a different drug?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have some OCD symtoms and my doc said Elavil is not the drug of choice for this and maybe somthing else will help with the winter SAD and help your OCD.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I also use a light box in the morning for 15 minutes!I also see a Psychologist as needed.
Expert:  Mind MD replied 7 years ago.
Your doctor is right in suggesting a trial of a newer drug.
I would suggest trying SSRI group of drugs. Though there are many options one good choice may be Fluovaxamine, available as LUVOX CR once a day formulation.
Of course this would need to be decided and prescribed by your treating psychiatrist only.
Shifting to a newer drug would require careful follow up with your doctor for any unusual symptoms, and to check for any drug related side-effects too, but in most cases should be do-able without significant problems.
Talk to your doctor regarding this,