Prof. Ward MA LSWA
Prof. Ward MA LSWA, Therapist
Experience:  Masters Degree, Childhood Psychopathology Prof , Licensed Social Worker Asso
14723606

Why do you suppose some people can handle high stress levels

Why do you suppose some people can handle high stress levels while others seem to melt down with what appears to be minimal stress?

Is our reaction to stress genetically determined, or do we learn how to respond to stress by observing others in our culture by watching television and movies?

Is it possible to become more stress resistant? If so, how?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Prof. Ward MA LSWA replied 7 years ago.
Personally I have noticed that my clients can handle extreem stress but lose contol over petty things and what I have come to believe is that some people are actually used to high stress situation and brush them off becuase they feel there is no way to change these things and become accoustome to them (i.e. poverty, illness, etc.). But when something small happenes that causes them stress they completely lose it, which I think is due to them being dissapointed when the little things that they do have a say in and can change do not go as they plan. It's like the last straw that broke the camels back so when they get angry or stressed its usual due to several things but only appears to be over something small. Trust me things are never as thay appear.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Do you think genetics play a role at any level or is it all culture and enviornment and life exper?...reason I ask is there are many schools of thought in the articles and texts...but as a professional what do you think and do I have permission to use your answer in my paper?

I think its a little of each. It really comes down to genetics, how one is raised and what they experience. Real life is much different that any text can fully explain or any school of thought. It would be nice if it were that easy and everyone fit into a clear cut category but unfortunately we do not. Our unique experiences and perceptions of life is what keeps life interesting. No ones problems are easy to go through and not everyone handles things as we expect they should but thats why there are therapist- to help others because they are not emotionally involved and are better able to see the problem and apply a response (or less stressful way to deal with issues.)