Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

I believe I may suffer with adult ADD and have suffered greatly

I believe I may suffer with adult ADD and have suffered greatly for years, what are the best methods to cope with this condition!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.com:

Generally ADD is treated with behavioral therapy as well as medication. You may wish to ask your doctor for Strattera, which is an ADD medication approved for adults. You don't say how you have suffered, but if you are forgetful, find it difficult to keep a job, rarely are able to finish projects, or become obsessed with projects to the point of ignoring other responsibilities, you may find that medication will help you to focus better.

Please let me know if you require clarification on anything I have said. Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I have all the above symptoms as you have said and I'm currently awaiting a letter for a futher consultation to determine my condition! I worry that the medical knowledge needed to help understand the condition of ADD is limited here in the UK! and the length of time it takes to be resolved. I do take sertraline for depression and anxiety and helps a little, but nor entirely!

Many thanks,

Emma

Yes, Sertraline is good for anxiety and depression, but for ADD you may need to take a different medication.   As I said, here in the US it is called Strattera, and it is approved for use by adults. Please discuss this with your doctor. At least you can ask for a trial of the medication and see if it helps. You will know right away if it is helping.

If this has been helpful to you, please click on the "Accept" button.
Good luck.
Experience: APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience