DocHarrison, Doctor
Experience:  Physician

is clomiprimine sucsessful in treating social phobia

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DocHarrison replied 7 years ago.

Clomiprimine is only indicated by the FDA for treatment of obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), which is a different diagnosis from social phobia. Some doctors use it "off label" for panic attacks, but that is not necessarily the same as "social phobia".

Social phobia is typically treated with prozac, zoloft or paxil. Psychotherapy can also be effective. Clomiprimine, to my knowledge, has never been shown to be effective for social phobia, and certainly is not FDA approved for its use nor commonly used. Therefore, I would question its use in this case.

Good luck and please click ACCEPT if this information was helpful. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have already tried paxil,fluroxetine,citalopram, effexor, buspirone, amytriptyline douslepin & moclobemide for social phobia and this is my psychiatrist's next choice. What would you recommend if i were your patient.

I'm glad to hear that your doctor tried these others before the clomopramine. I would try nardil along with a beta blocker like propanolol. This can help blunt the anxiety response while also treating the phobia. You may want to ask about this as a treatment option, but the clomiprimine is also an appropriate choice, given your medication history.

Please click ACCEPT so I can get credit for my time spent on your case. Thanks.