DocHarrison, Doctor
Experience:  Physician

I am scheduled to see a Psychiatrist for an an examination

I am scheduled to see a Psychiatrist for an an examination as I have been diagnosed with PTSD & Major Depression for the last 8 years no less than 7 doctors still confirm that diagnosis however this doctor works for the insurance co and we expect him to try to minimize my illness, I still see my doctors weekly and monthly, I am on many drugs and we anticipate him trying to get those discontinued as well,how should I handle this examination?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DocHarrison replied 7 years ago.

Don't expect the worst during this examination.Just relax and tell the truth. If you appear to be withholding information or nervous, the examiner will suspect you aren't being truthful and perhaps misguiding the diagnosis. Just be straightforward, relaxed and honest. This approach will let the examiner know that you "have nothing to hide", and will be less "suspicious" of any of your illnesses.

I am confident the exam will go well and you have nothing to worry about.

Good luck and please click ACCEPT if this information was helpful. Thanks.