Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Hi there, I have been diagnosed with social phobia and after

Customer Question

Hi there, I have been diagnosed with social phobia and after unsucsessful treatment with the NHS and various treatments I tried myself I decided to go private and was referred to a consultant psychiatrist. I explained to him that i have tried various medications ie. SSRI'S Paroxetine, Prozac, Citalopralm, SNRI,Venlafaxine, Buspirone, and two Tricyclic Amytriptyline and Douslepin. I went to him as my private GP thought that i had probably exhausted the usual route of antidepressants and was time to try something else. My Psychiatrist prescribed MAOI moclobemide 600mg & Diazepam however after 6wks i am still no further forward so have been back in touch with him with regards XXXXX XXXXX something else. I was thinking along the lines of Nardil or Klonopin which seem to have the best resulsts with SP however he has now suggested yet another tricylic Clomipramine. My question would be should I stick with this consultant who despite my major concerns is still wishing me to try this med.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

H there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

Your concerns about the fact that your new psychiatrist is starting you on TCA -- Clomipramine, definitely cannot be undermined , but having said that Clomipramine till date since the time of its discovery and mind it is one of the first anti depressants to be discovered has stood its ground , and mainly because of its amazing efficacy and in social phobias many standard psychiatry textbooks refer it as the first choice drug. So, what you need to do is , give your psychiatrist the benefit of doubt ,and start on his prescription but also ask him to add klonopin at night as that will be a good adjuvant to clomipramine.

Also , i would suggest you to go for psychotherapy ---such as Cognitive Behaviour therapy which has produced some wonderful effects in control of social phobia. Cognitive behaviour therapy is offered by clinical psychologist and psychiatrists alike.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.