Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

I need some support with psychological problems. I have trouble

I need some support with psychological problems. I have trouble opening up but the issues I have are really ruining my life. I have had 6 counselling sessions free on the NHS but it wasnt enough and didnt seem to address my problems. The problems dont seem to fall into any one category - marital, weight, etc. it's mainly my own self esteem and the issues surrounding it. Where can I go and who can I ask for help? What help do I ask for? I have to sort this out to get on with my life. Thank You
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.

I would suggest that you find a psychologist who specializes in either Relational therapy or Psychodynamic therapy as these are types of therapy that focus on relationship issues and self-esteem issues. These types of therapy are usually longer-term than a cognitive behavioral therapy though, so you should expect to go more than 6 times. You and your therapist can talk about the expected duration of treatment when you meet.

The fact that you're open to trying different kinds of treatments and keeping at it even though you haven't had much luck yet shows your determination and desire for change- these are both great assets for you and I'm sure that once you find the right therapy things will improve for you.

Best of luck.