Mind MD
Mind MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD
239748

MY SIGNIFICANT OTHER HAS A SISTER, WHO THINKS SHE IS BEING

Customer Question

MY SIGNIFICANT OTHER HAS A SISTER, WHO THINKS SHE IS BEING WATCHED AND BELEIVES WHEN SHE IS ON THE PHONE SOMEONE IS SENDING CODED MESSAGES .SHE ALSO BELEIVES SHE CANT USE HER CREDIT CARD BECAUSE THEY ARE A SECRET WAY FOR PEOPLE TO GET IDENTIFICATION AND IFORMATION ABOUT YOU. SHE BELEIVES THE INTERNET IS SET UP THE SAME WAY..SHE HAS TROUBLE WITH PERCIEVING REAL FROM TRUTH ON TELEVISION SHOWS. SHE IS ONLY 59 SHE RETIRED APPROX 9 YRS AGO BECAUSE SHE COULD NO LONGER WORK IN THE PUBLIC.YOU CANT TAKE HER OUT TO EAT FOR SHE FEARS SOMEONE IS WATCHING HER THERE. WHEN WE ARE IN THE CAR WITH HER SHE IS CONSTANTLY LOOKING AROUND IN FEAR. SHE LIVES ALONE AND HAS ONLY A FRIEND THAT LIVES IN ANOTHER STATE WHICH SHE TALKS TO CONSTANTLY . SHE WATCHS TV AND RADIO AND PLAYS COMPUTER GAMES LIKE SOLITARE WORD ROMP.,NO INTERNET CONNECTED ONES. I FEEL SHE IS SCHIZOPHRENIC BUT DONT KNOW HOW TO GET HER TO A DR. SHE IS VERY INTELLIGENT AND GETS PISSED VERY EASY.DO YOU HAVE ANY POINTERS TO APPROACH HER WITH?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mind MD replied 7 years ago.
The symptoms that you are describing are consistent with the diagnosis of paranoid delusions and schizophrenia,
She needs urgent evaluation by a medical specialist, since otherwise she is capable of potentially hurting herself or even others.
Talk to your local doctor/ mental health professional for the best way forward.
You could try fixing an appointment for yourself / any other member of the family with the mental health professional (after clearing it with the doctor) & take her along for giving relevant history.
Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
SORRY BUT I DONT THINK THAT IS WORTH PAYMENT..I KNOW THAT MUCH MYSELF..BUT THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT JUST THE SAME..SINCERLY
Expert:  Mind MD replied 7 years ago.
As a relative you could forcibly get her examined too, if you felt that she was a danger to herself/ others.
For this a visit to your general physician (for a trivial illness) could be done as a screener, and he could then suggest an appropriate referral.
Please do NOT pay if you feel that enough effort did not go into answering your question,
All the best, XXXXX XXXXX a tough and tricky question, hope that it ends well,
Regards