Lively
Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
13693856

I have had every therapy in the book including CBT and medication

Customer Question

I have had every therapy in the book including CBT and medication and still suffer crippling anxiety. Do you have any other suggestions for treatment
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 8 years ago.
Customer

How frustrating! You have worked hard at lots of different therapies. Other than the ones you've tried, the only "treatment" that is well researched and proven effective is regular exercise. "Regular" means about 4-5 times per week and most of the studies say that "exercise" means fairly vigorous cardiovascular exercise, like walking briskly or running.

You might also consider trying a yoga class. This could incorporate the exercise piece as well as some of the relaxation and meditation skills that you've learned in the past.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I would like to exercise more but at present my thyroid problems prevent me from doing do i.e severe fatigue, joint pain etc.

At the moment I am using Jon Kabat Zinn's Mindful Meditation CDs which are quite good.

I must have done something pretty awful in another life to feel this bad!

Thank you

Expert:  Lively replied 8 years ago.

Maybe addressing your thyroid problems first will help-it sounds like you're working on this. I would encourage you to try not to view your struggles as punishment for anything you've done in this life (or previous ones)-- viewing your difficulties as punishment will likely just leave you feeling worse and more upset. We all face challenges that seem insurmountable, that we have done nothing to incur. And yet most of them offer a chance to learn and grow... Best of luck to you.