Mind MD
Mind MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD

My 2 3/4 year-old child is starting to do what I call just

Customer Question

My 2 3/4 year-old child is starting to do what I call "just say anything" talk. He is oppositional on just about everything we say (it's snowing "no it's not..."), he just makes stuff up (vivid imagination maybe), but the other day he was talking about a friends cat at their house and I said "be careful, you don't want to hurt the cat." So he says "yes, I do want to hurt her". I was mortified. I'm wondering how much of this is normal. It didn't help that my friend said to me "that's deviant". It doesn't mention this kind of stuff in any of the thousands of parenting books I've read. What do I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mind MD replied 7 years ago.
I am a pediatrician,
From your description this is not deviant behavior or likely a pathological behavior.
This is simply a Toddler expressing his independence and finding it fun to disagree with his parents for the first time in his life!
As long as he does not go about intentionally hurting animals repeatedly without any remorse, this is not a significantly abnormal behavior.
I understand your concern nevertheless, and would feel that you ought to discuss this behavior with his pediatrician during the next routine visit, for further confirmation,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you so much. No, he is nice to animals...we have two dogs so that's not a problem. I was thinking he was just in a "I want to say something to get a rise out of you" phase, until my friend thought it was deviant.

Thank you!

Expert:  Mind MD replied 7 years ago.
I would have to agree with your version of events given the history,
All the best