DrKnowsBest
DrKnowsBest, Doctor
Experience:  Family Practitioner
9384716

My mother-in laws life is being ruined by her fear of spiders

My mother-in laws life is being ruined by her fear of spiders - she has always had a "thing" but she is 80 now and cannot be in the house on her own for any longer than necessary
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DrKnowsBest replied 7 years ago.
Hello Customer!
Phobias such as this usually respond best to cognitive therapy. If it is affecting her life this much then this is warranted. A therapist can slowly expose her to the source of the phobia under controlled conditions (advancing sometimes from her picturing it in her head to a photo to the real thing, etc). This is usually what works best. Hypnosis is an alternative method that also works well.
A short term sedative that is mild and can help control her anxiety. This can be evaluated by the psycholtherapist but must be prescribe by her dr.
Good Luck
Hope this helps!