Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

My son is 4yrs old and has an expressive speech and behavior

Customer Question

My son is 4yrs old and has an expressive speech and behavior issues. He was dx as PDDNOS- is this Autism?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified, or PDD-NOS, for short, is considered as autism as it demonstrates some but not all, of the symptoms associated with classic autism.

Read this very good resource for the further explaining the differences of classical autism and PDD-NOS;

Please fee free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you but that did not help me as you can see I have read every book on the issue and have had a ton of Dr evaluations. I am a member of the Autism Speaks org. My therapists and Dr do not agree. Therapists see him all the time and say no way the Dr see him for 20-30 minutes maybe 2-3 times a year. Therapists says PDD-NOS is Autism and Dr.s say no it is not. I just need to know - how to help him. He has a lot of energy and i was thinking possibly ADHD- can this affect language?

Your already tried info appeared later. I would opt out and refer your question to another expert in our team.

Thank you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for nothing bud- Have a good night!
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.
Hi Laura:

I will try to assist with this question. Autism and ADHD are different situations, and based on your description of your son's behavior, I would lean more toward PDD than ADHD. The docs are correct in saying that PDD NOS is not classical autism, but it does carry a "flavor" of autism. It means your son has some symptoms of autism, but not enough to give him a clear diagnosis because he does not meet all the criteria. Your son's condition is difficult to diagnose because his symptoms don't fit clearly into any one category. That is why you are getting differing evaluations from the docs and therapists. Since they are having trouble with it and they see him regularly, it is likewise even more difficult for us, since we haven't seen him at all.

The treatment would be the same, however, and you said your priority was to help the child. My recommendation is to begin a autism treatment protocol for him, and if the other behaviors persist, do an evaluation for ADHD. Finally, ADHD does not usually impact language.

Good luck with your staffing this week.