Patrick
Patrick, Psychologist
Experience:  Ph.D. Clinical Psychology, specializing in PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, Panic Disorder, and Forensics.
267527

I have a sueezed feeling in left temporal area behind left

Customer Question

I have a sueezed feeling in left temporal area behind left eye and above left eyebrow area for a long time now. It also causes all the symptoms of major depression. I've tried all kinds of ant-depressants and they seem to suppress the energy there causing it to build up and feel more stressful there to the point where I feel I need to stop taking them. The latest one I tried was Pristiq which I was hoping would work and I've been taking everyday for last 5 days. But the stress there has built up to the point where I can hardly sleep now and it physically aches there. I've had MRI, CAT scan, and MRA to determine if there is something physicall broken down in that area of the brain, but they all checked out OK. I've been trying to find some form of release from this feeling for 2 years now and have tried many anti-depressants, but they all seem to produce this feeling of supressing the stress there and it building up to point where I can't tolerate them anymore. Any advice?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

Greetings.

Apart from anti-depressants, were you prescribed any other therapy? Did you consult any neurologist in your area? If yes, what was the opinion?

Dr. Arun

Expert:  Patrick replied 5 years ago.
I was somewhat intrigued that Xanax seemed to give you temporary relief as opposed to antidepressants. This suggests to me you may be suffering from some form of stress related seizure. Have you had any serious traumatic events in your life? Disorders like PTSD have a notorious record of producing what you have described and as well as migraine headaches. I would also check with a Neurologist to see if this is occurring or your having seizures. Some antidepressants like Welbutrin will induce a seizure. It may be worth exploring a dose of an antiseizure medication. Many medications are used for purposes other than was intended. For example, Depakote is an antiseizure drug, but also helps in treating Bipolar Disorder especially Rapid-cycling Bipolar Disorder.

If my answer helped you please hit the ACCEPT button.

Have a good day!

Patrick - Expert
Clinical Psychologist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Patrick for quick response. Could a seizure cause a feeling like this inflamed, agitated feelin in left temple area chronically everday for the last 2 years? I'd be happy to try an antseizure drug if you think that might help alleviate the stress there.

Thanks again for you quick response. Trying to determine if I should continue with Pristiq even though it feels more stressed there, and maybe if I push through it will go away, or if I should stop it because of this stress build up. It does seem to help with some of the other depression symptoms, but the stress in left temple is hard to tolerate.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Arun for quick response. A neuroligist migraine headache specialist thought I had a constant migraine headache for the last 2 years and said my depression symptoms were a result of having the chronic headache. He recommended a medicine for migraine headaches called Amlodipine which I took for 3 or 4 weeks. I hoped it would help but it didn't seem to have much effect on the the stress point in left temple and behind left eyebrow. It feels constantly inflamed and agitated there. I also was prescribed nurontin and topomax by local nueroligist about a year ago, but those didn't seem to help alleviate the symptoms either.From what I've read and heard about migraines, it doesn't seem like a migraine to me.

I'm trying a new anti-depressant called Pristiq for the last 5 days which seemed to relieve the depression symptoms but increased stress or seem to supress it rather than relieve it in left temple, so it's harder to sleep and difficult to keep taking. Maybe it's a side effect that will go away if I keep taking? The anti-depressants always seem to build up the stress there to the point where I can't tolerate them anymore. Is this a side effect I just need to press through or does it mean it's the wrong kind of medicine for my left temple stress point?

I've been meditating for 30 years and it has always been helpful and often would open up knots and headaches. It seems to help with this problem also, but has not been sufficient to get beyond this stress point in left temple and depression even though I meditate usually an hour every morning and usually at night as well for an hour or so.

Most doctors say I have major clinical depression and I do have all the symptoms and I wish I could keep taking the anti-depressants and have them give me relief, but every time they seem to build up the stress in left temple to point where I feel I can't go on with them. Don't know if this is side effect I need to just try harder to get thru or if indicates I should stop. When I stop I feel better, but then the depression symptoms get worse within a few days and I look for some other kind of relief. Xanax gives a little temporary relief but it doesn't last long. By the time I see my doctor again I have usually quit the anti-depressants because they build up so much stress, so your quick, timely advice would be really helpful in deciding whether to stop Pristiq because of stress build up in left temple or to continue with it longer and maybe the stress will eventually go away there.

Also during meditation there feels like a drainage of left temple area occurring where the stress chemistry drains down behind my cheek and into my mouth. It feels similar to saliva which I then swallow. I also feel the need to crack my neck every few minutes to release the accumulated stress in that area. Is there a gland or tissue in left temple area that could be torn or injured? It kind of feels like that..

Thanks very much for quick response on this,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Also during meditation there feels like a drainage of left temple area occurring where the stress chemistry drains down behind my cheek and into my mouth. It feels similar to saliva which I then swallow. I also feel the need to crack my neck every few minutes to release the accumulated stress in that area. Is there a gland or tissue in left temple area that could be torn or injured?

I haven't had any serious traumatic events except when I was about 12 years old I fell out of a tree and landed on my head and had a concussion which knoked me unconcious for about 20 minutes. My forehead got seriously swelled up the next day to where I could hardly open my eyes..That was over 40 years ago. I didn't have any issues like this to deal with until 2 years ago. I should add I did have one episode of clinical depression about 25 years ago where I felt depressed for about a year. I didn't use drugs or anything except accupuncture and herbs. They didn't seem to help much, but after about a year it lifted and I felt pretty good next 25 years. I started a small business which grew to 25 employees and really enjoyed it. I didn't have any pain in my left temple or anywhere in my head at that time as I recall. I was just depressed and had all the symptoms.I started meditating more around that time and have led a healthy lifestyle since then, mostly vegetarian with regular meditation and exercise.

Thanks for your help,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Dr. Arun,

Any further ideas on what might be causing this feeling in left temple area behind left eye? It feels sore there all the time and inflamed causing agitation in left eyebrow area and all the other symptoms I described.

Thanks for your help,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Patrick,

Any further ideas on what might be causing this disturbance in left temple area? It feels sore there and inflamed causing agitation behind left eyebrow area and all the other symptoms I described. I'd sure like to find out what is causing this.

Thanks for your help,