NeuroDoc1
NeuroDoc1, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certification by American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
14010256

Who are some of the best psychiatrists in Phila treating P

Customer Question

Who are some of the best psychiatrists in Phila treating PTSD?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  NeuroDoc1 replied 5 years ago.

Am I correct in assuming that you are the one suffering with PTSD? If so, what are the main symptoms that you are having? Has your diagnosis been confirmed by a doctor in the past?

If you do not feel comfortable discussing these things with me right now I understand. I have many patients with PTSD and I know that it can be difficult to open up to other people about your experiences and current symptoms. If you would like to tell me more about the experience or experiences that caused your PTSD and what you are going through now, I would be glad to listen.

In general, PTSD requires regular, focused treatment by a mental health professional. The treatment usually is a "multi-faceted" approach which uses inividual and group counselling, relaxation techniques, as well as medications for depressed mood/anxiety, and sometimes certain medications for insomnia and nightmares. The recovery process often takes a significant amount of time (many months to years) but most people will make progress over time.

The University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia has an excellent Psychiatry department and several experts with expertise at treating PTSD. This link below provides more information about them and how to contact them for an appointment if feel they are right for you.

http://www.med.upenn.edu/ctsa/ptsd_treatment_ctsa.html

Best wishes.

NeuroDoc1, Doctor
Experience: Board Certification by American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, was writing a reply and got cut short--family came home.
Thanks for your answer, but I was looking for more than the obvious--got to Penn (or for tHAT matter JEFF, TEMPLE, OR THE NEW DREXEL MED). REALLY LOOKING FOR NAMES AND DOCS THAT HAVE A REPUTATION FOR ABSOLUTE FAIR DEALING. I am well known and respected in the business community and am not looking to build someone their summer home at Loveladies...I want someone beyond reproach and I am told that is hard to come by.

My story is long, but I will be concise: I awent to Phillips Academy (Andover for prep school) and lived with 4 other girls for 3 years--extremely unusual. The reason we stuck was we had a house counselor, interstingly the school's physician ang Golf Coach as well as Chem Prof, who really bound us tight and helped us succeed. By the time I was 26, one roommate died of Leukemis (I forced her to go into the hospital for the diagnosis), one was killed by a drunk drive,and my housecounselor physicain died of complications from Breast Cancer (remember 25 years ago, cancer was a different story than today).. All had the finest of care.   Not long after the death of my housecounselor, I walked around with a bad brocnhitic cough--just had finished my MBA/law degree at Wharton/upenn law and had started life as an investment bamker. I collapsed both lungs in the middle of the night. I do not have the enzyme deficiency but suffer from COPD (my dad died unexpectedly of it my 3rd week at Amherst College--full resp arrest.    I have fought the COPD well, but the Steroids took a toll--one being my susceptibility to infection. I am an extraordinary athlet--was a skier calendar girl way into my 30s and also a 2 handicap golfer most of my life-- I herniated a disc, had a nucleoplasty, and got an infection. Went to HUP with 105 degree fever-- I shipped myself out to MD Anderson to Sam Hassenbsuch to rule out bome cancer as Upenn went that way) and ended up a month there and then 8 more months at The Methodist (Debakey's rt hand guy is my godfather, so medical care is no issue in my family, but we do not beleive in psychiatry). After the Osteo and MRSA were handled I went to Seattle to deal with the surgical repair of my back-- XXXXX XXXXXscom, MD (the actual model for the Grey's aanat guy and just as handsome) was my doc..He had a new Bird Cage Fusion technique, but still rquired the complete filet, then a second surgery the next day to remove a fragment that was keeoing pressure on the nerves for my left leg so to paralyze me-- too much swelling had occured on Surg day 1 to remover the piece, so he went bas--so 14 hrs followed by 6-- then there were 4 more surgeries--I WALK IN HIGH HEELS< SKI AND PLAY GOLF- fab rehab! It took 2 years! When this happened to me, I took a partner into my business-- six months ago she was diag'd with ovarian cancer--It was clear she was sick a while and ignored it--unusaul thing is that her husband is an OB/GYN. She is receiving REMARKABLEY POOR care at Pennsylvania hopsp--

Well, with the diagnosis came flashbacks of my dead friends, nightmares that repeat when I sleep, but mostly insomnia, I jump when a phone rings afte 10 at night, which is alot at my house, I have lost weight, not that I mind--but I had just gotten back to a healthy weight of 120 and dropped back to 110 almost overnight, I jump at noises, I do not cry but i want to scream...Sleepng pills do not help!
Plus, I just had some surgery myself-- Last week Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery-- my lung ahhered to my chest wall, lots of scarring in the plueral sac, causing chrinic chest pain-- aslo have some damage to my T2 rib and T4 rib which I loiterally coughed out of my sternum and T3 on rt which popped out once and badly fractured and was thus resected--no chronic pain that side, but I have had an issue on the rt for yrs--I now have an indwelling pre-pleural cath to deliever bupivicaine (I hate the narcotics, just do not do well with them- Also failed with an intrathecal pump even with SNX-11 Ziconotide Prealt). All pain mgt has been done woth the best guys possible--Stuart DuPen in Seattle before he retired--Raj Narayan who was in Houston then at Temple and is now the Chair of the Mayfield Clinic for Neuro in Cincinnati and Chair of the Neuro Dept. He is big on PTSD, but could not name a single Psychiatrist in Philadelphia that he trusts with my Care!

So, any names!
Expert:  NeuroDoc1 replied 5 years ago.

Although I know you are not looking for pity, I am truly sorry to hear about your traumatic experiences and ongoing health problems. I agree that you likely are suffering from PTSD and would benefit from aggresive treatment. You sound like a very strong person with fighting attitude, and this is always important on the road back to good health. I suspect that with the treatments for PTSD as I mentioned above, you will improve over time.

I must be honest with you and tell you that I also do not have personal knowledge of a specific physician at U Penn or elsewhere in Philadelphia that I can be sure will meet your standards. I would recommend contacting the psychiatry department there and speaking with a clinic coordinator or nurse who works with the faculty and can advise you on which doctor would likely be the best choice for you. You may also wish to consider joining a PTSD support group (many can be found online) and chatting with other members who may give you the "inside scoop" on doctors in Philadelphia.

I wish I could have given you a more specific recommendation, but if you have any other concerns please let me know. I wish you the best.

NeuroDoc1, Doctor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for the honest reply! If you ever have an interest to return to Wisconsin, you should keep tabs on what Raj Narayan may do there!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for the honest reply! If you ever have an interest to return to Wisconsin, you should keep tabs on what Raj Narayan may do there! Tring to give you a nice feedback report, but the site area just click me out? Not sure why?
Expert:  NeuroDoc1 replied 5 years ago.

No problem, don't worry about the feedback. I wish you the best in the future.