Docsuske, Doctor
Experience:  Over 33 years of primary care counselling & work with psychiatric inpatients & dependency programs.

I have been diagnosed with ADHD and was prescribed Adderall

I have been diagnosed with ADHD and was prescribed Adderall XR, 20mg. I am worried about building a tolerance to this medication (I haven't yet). Prior to my diagnosis, I would take ephedrine in order to be able to focus and be productive at work. However, I did built a tolerance to that. Would alternating the use of Adderall/ephedrine be an effective way to avoid building a tolerance to both of these substances? Or are they so similar in their action and make up that this would not work?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Docsuske replied 7 years ago.
I do not believe significant tolerance develops to Adderal- however, tolerance can develop to all things.

I would not recommend you alternate meds- ephedrine & Adderall can have similar effect & side-effects, which could be worse.

If the Adderal works, stick with it until it doesn't- then consult the precriber for advice.

If tolerance eventually occurs- the dosage adjustment may be made by your prescriber.

there are many other interactions

see link

All stimulants must be used with caution & under direct supervision

thanks for asking

Happy New Year
Thank you for allowing me to be of assistance.

Kindly press 'ACCEPT' so that I may be paid for my time and advice. This does NOT cost you extra!

Bonus & Follow-up questions for clarification or added information, are always welcomed.
Positive feedback is appreciated.

You should always consult with your medical care provider, for proper diagnosis and treatment & follow-up.

The information provided is for educational purposes only.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the prompt response!

As a follow up, you mentioned that if a tolerance were to develop (everything else I've read seems to indicate that a tolerance to amphetamine usually does develop quickly), a dosage adjustment would be made by my doctor. I guess I'm wondering if there is some way to avoid the need for the dosage adjustment all together. Would taking time off from the Adderall (say, 2 weeks, for example) and using ephedrine during those two weeks be one way to do that? My thinking is that if they are different compounds, alternating their use would prevent such a tolerance from developing.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Docsuske replied 7 years ago.
Same answer, really, I would not be concerned about tolerance,but
IF there is some, you prescriber can advise about increasing dosage.

You say the Adderall is working- so why would you want to stop (instead of increase, if needed)?

Why do you fear an increase, again, only if needed?

Again, I would not suggest mixing 2 similar drugs with similar side-effects (& maybe cross/shared tolerance?), when you have 1 that works.

they are different chemicals, but are similar.

Your prescriber can best answer your suggested change- but, I would be against it, if it were me, and also can calm your fears about possible tolerance, & how it would be handled.