Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

My 18 year old son has been hearing voices that say youre

My 18 year old son has been "hearing voices" that say "you're gonna die". He also is having bad headaches daily. What can this all mean?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just ANSWER.

Since when has he been hearing voice?Are you sure if he is not into alcohol abuse or substance abuse? Is this the first such episode? Does he also indulge in bizarre actions such as making unnecesary hand movements, talking to self when no one is around , seeing objects when no such thing is actually there, having belief that some people want to hurt him or want to embarrass him in public or that he is some kind of well known personality or as someone having supernatural powers?

Has he become irritable , aggressive, violent, destructive , abusive , of late , with litte regard or respect shown to elders or seniors alike?

Is he on some medications?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He noticed the voices about 4-5 months ago. He says his thoughts get "stuck" and he find himself thinking about the same thing over and over again. He indicates that he thinks about sex a lot and feels that it is a problem. He says he does encounter unnecesary hand movesments, and he does feel like people want to hurt him, but he does not feel like he is going to hurt anyone. He does admit to talking to himself when no one is around. He also see objects or images that are not really there. He feels that other people can "see" him thoughts. He says he is not destructive. But says he is irritable, aggressive, violent, abusive, and no respect or regard to elders.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

It seems more likely a case of Psychosis , that your son is suffering from as of now. The fact that he feels people want to hurt him, he talks to himself when no one is around, sees objects and images which really are not there, concedes of increase in sexual drive and feels other people can see his thoughts, all these features are suggestive of Psychosis , as in pure medical terms they are known as delusions of persecution, auditory and visual hallucinations, impairement of reality testing , illusions , and all these are hallmark characteristics of Psychosis.

Now , this Psychosis can be either due to Mania (Bipolar disorder) or Schizophrenia, for diagnosing the underlying psychiatry disorder, you need to consult a Psychiatrist, who will carry out a detailed mental status examination along with the general physical examination and will eventually come with a diagnosis.

As far as my experience goes i would consider the Psychosis due to Mania of Bipolar Disorder, due to the age of onset of his symptoms, which are in teens. But this can only be confirmed by a proper meeting with the psychiatrist in person .

So, i hope you take an appointment with a Psychiatrist for your son and get him evaluated. Please, this needs prompt attention as this psychiatry condition does have a bearing on one's life , but with proper medications and suport one can deal with it .

I Hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Regards.... Dr. kaushik