Lively
Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
13693856

5 Year old ADHD son does NOT want to change his clothes after

5 Year old ADHD son does NOT want to change his clothes after wetting the bed. He says he likes wearing the wet clothes and its "fun", although that is his answer for a lot of things he does not have the answer for. He can talk and conversate, but for some reason has difficulty explaining his actions. I want to know if that is normal for a child to not want to change out of urine soaked clothes, I though kids hated the way that feels
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 5 years ago.

jarkt,

Sometimes when kids wet the bed and don't want to change clothes afterwards it can be because the "wet" clothes feel warm or "secure" to them. I know this might sound odd and is not to be encouraged as it's not hygeinic and not a pattern that you want to get into, but it is also important not to shame your son.

What I would suggest is working with a therapist (if your son has been diagnosed with ADHD already I'm guessing you have a therapist?) on how to treat bedwetting-- to help your son stop and also to help you figure out how best to respond to it. Any psychologist who treats young children should be able to help you with this as it is a fairly common problem.

Lively, Psychologist
Experience: Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Warm and secure? I never would have thought of that. This is my stepson and his bio mom died when he was an infant. He was passed around to many people to take care of him and his father has been married several times so he's had many "mommys" come in and out of his life. His behavior is very "babyish" for his age and so this makes perfect sense. It helps my peice of mind to understand. Thanks so much.
Expert:  Lively replied 5 years ago.
So glad it is helpful. Best of luck to you and your son.