FamilyPhysician
FamilyPhysician, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician with over 23 years clinical experience treating patients with mental health issues
1304720

Is there a hospital/treatment centre in Europe, Asia or the

Customer Question

Is there a hospital/treatment centre in Europe, Asia or the US which I can live in for a period of time to be treated specifically for social phobia? Not a place to hide, but a place to learn techniques to overcome chronic anxiety? I do not want to live with monks in South East Asia, or a stay in a substandard NHS hospital. I am looking at a 1-2 month fast track dedicated centre? I'm also not looking for a "yes, no" answer, I need name, address, website details. My preference would be in Europe, then Asia, then US. Payment will be made to the person(s) who can name a centre in Europe. Any centre named in Asia, US will be rewarded on a first come first serve basis. The priory in London is already being looked into.
Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. AMBRISH SINGAL M.D[ Psychiatry] replied 8 years ago.

DEAR FRIEND

I AM CONSULTANT IN PSYCHIATRY FROM INDIA, CHANDIGARH.

SOCIAL PHOBIA I S A VERY COMMON PROBLEM , AND IS FULLLY CURABLE.

I DONT KNOW WHAT EXPERIENCES U HAVE IN THE PAST AND WHY U ARE STILL CARRYING THE ILLNESS.TELL ME UR EXPERIENCES ABOUT THIS ILLNESS IN THE PAST AND WHY U R STILL INCURABLE.

IN MY PRACTICE I DONT HAVE CAME ACROSS A PERSON WHO HAS NOT BEEN CURED OF THIS PROBLEM.

I TREAT PATIENTS BY MEDICINES[WHICH ARE THE MAIN STAY OF TREATMENT AND BY PSYCHOTHERAPEUTIC TECHNIQUES......WHICH IN UR CASE WILL BE SYSTEMATIC DESENSITISATION [A FORM OF BEHAVIOUR THERAPY]

NOWADAYS THE CAUSE OF PHOBIAS IS FOUND TO BE BIOLOGCAL .............IE DUE TO DISTURBANCES IN NEUROTRANSMITTERS[ SEROTONIN AND NOR-EPINEPHRINE..WHICH CAN ONLY BE CURED MY MEDICINES AND NOT BY PSYCHOTHERAPIES.............ALONE.]

I HAVE THE PROVISION OF INDOOR FACILITIES AND TWO PSYCHOLOGISTA ARE ATTACHED WITH ME.

WE CAN HELP U OUT IN ALL POSSIBLE WAYS..........AND I ASSURE OF A RECOVERY.RESULTS OF PSYCHIATRIC ILLNESS ARE MUCH BETTER IN INDIA , THAN THE DEVELOPING NATIONS..[THERE ARE MANY PAPERS PUBLISHED ON IT TOO]

THANKS

DR AMBRISH SINGAL.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I would like further evidence of phobias not being treated with pschotherapy alone. It has been referenced by many clinical psychologists and psychiatrists that cognitive therapy is the most successful way to overcome this type of phobia. Being pescribed drugs is a helpful addition to the psychotherapy.

You have also stated Social phobia as a illness, my understanding is that social phobia is a state of being or a state of mind.

I would like a second opinion with this question.

Thank you.

Expert:  FamilyPhysician replied 8 years ago.
I would respectfully XXXXX XXXXX disagree with the opinion expressed by the other expert in regards XXXXX XXXXX effectiveness of psychotherapy.

This recent review article would support the position that many patients do benefit from cognitive behavior treatment (CBT) without medication.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17640438

There is also not enough evidence to support the superiority of combined treatment for social anxiety/phobia.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17008828
You may be interested in looking into the Social Phobia Pyschotherapy Research Network in Germany which very recently published this study.

The lead author's contact information is provide below:
Prof. Dr. Falk Leichsenring
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy, University of Giessen
Ludwigstrasse 76, DE-35392 Giessen (Germany)
Tel. +49(NNN) NNN-NNNN Fax +49(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>
E-Mail [email protected]

I am unsure if they have a residential treatment program, but as the most recently published study on the topic of psychotherapy for social phobia, he would probably be the best to advise you of resource in Europe.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

FamilyPhysician, Thank you. At last a senisble answer without a sales pitch. Please allow me to review the documents over the next 3 day before accepting your answer.

If you don't mind, may I ask where you are based?

Again, thank you.

I am based in the USA where I am a a practicing Family Physician (GP) for the last 23 years.

I did have the privilege of spending 10 months in the UK as a medical student doing rotations at the Royal Hampshire County General Hospital in Winchester.