JoshMD
JoshMD, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for nearly two years, specializing in pediatrics, ob/gyn, internal medicine.

hello last nite i hopped into bed and put the doona over me

Customer Question

hello last nite i hopped into bed and put the doona over me and then i felt this cold feeling in the centre of my chest then the coldness went to my both legs and it was like i chill coolness and after 10 mins it went away then i got this shaking jumpy feeling and it was like my heart was beating or fulttering fast for 2 to 3 mins.. so so worried why i was feeling really really cold in the legs and not it was not my anxitey as i was feeling good... please get back to me asap
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JoshMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello againCustomer
So to summarize, you were getting into bed and felt a cold chill in your chest and ran to your legs, felt some heart "fluttering" but your symptoms resolved in a few minutes.

Have you changed any medications?
Do you have any other symptoms?
Have you had this pain before?
Did anything make it feel better?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not on medication i only feel i cant breath today every 10 mins of so on and off and no have never had this b4 and nothing made it better at all...
Expert:  JoshMD replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.

Could you tell me more about your breathing troubles? Have you ever been checked for asthma? Do you feel like your lungs "wheeze" when you are short of breath?

Have you had the cold chill again since?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have been checked for asthma and no my lungs do not wheeze at all
it feels every10mins i feel i cant het enough air in the breath it in and out..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>i have 2 times had like the coldness down my legs today... what is wrong with me i am so so worried</p><p> </p>
Expert:  JoshMD replied 5 years ago.
Good, I'm reassured that you have been checked for asthma but not diagnosed and that your lungs don't wheeze.

Do you feel like stress or anxiety causes the shortness of air to be worse? Or do you notice the troubles breathing when you exercising (climbing stairs)?

How long does the coldness in the legs last? What is the temperature where you are at? Are you wearing extra layers of clothes to help?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no it does not get wore with exicice .. the coldness in my legs last for 10 mins then goes away and i had to go and get my car and standing in a bit of wind that was not cold but as soon as i jump in my car i got this bit of coldness though me and the temperature here is 27.8 here... so what is wrong with me...
Expert:  JoshMD replied 5 years ago.
It is good to know that you are not short of breath with exercising because this helps point to healthy heart and lungs. The coldness in your legs that you are experiencing sounds like poor circulation which is a common problem for many men and women. This is your body's natural response to cold temperatures, which includes decreasing blood flow to the legs/arms to prevent heat loss. Your body may also respond by causing you to shiver b/c this helps generate heat from the muscles. Furthermore, the fact that it returns after only 10 minutes reinforces the idea that its poor circulation and as the blood flow returns, the cold symptoms resolve. If this was a problem with your thyroid or your nerves, it would typically last for days/weeks and not minutes.

I suspect you are healthy and that this is not a major health issue, albeit inconvenient. I hope this helps reassure you but as always please be sure to ask any extra questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if i had poor circulation then wouldnt my oxgyen level be low
Expert:  JoshMD replied 5 years ago.
No, this is not that kind of poor circulation. As noted above, it sounds as though your heart and lungs are working well and thus you would have normal oxygen in your blood. This type of "poor circulation" is due to the arteries in your arms and legs. The body can choose to decrease the blood flow to these to keep the warm blood around your main organs. Again, this is the body's normal/healthy response to cold temperatures.

The decreased blood flow in your legs makes them feel cold. Once some time has passed and your body feels warm, it will return the blood flow in your arms/legs to normal.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
why would i have that and what is it caused from..
Expert:  JoshMD replied 5 years ago.
This is a natural response and is not a sign of any medical problem or disease. Some people will notice it every time they get cold and some people will only experience it intermittently.
JoshMD, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for nearly two years, specializing in pediatrics, ob/gyn, internal medicine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what causes this and will i die from this at all... so so worried
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i think it is more then thaT WRONG WITH ME
Expert:  JoshMD replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for accepting my answers, I'm happy to be able to help.

Nope, you will definitely not die from this, again, its a natural response and common in all people.

I'm always available to help answer your questions, please don't hesitate to ask anything further.