Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

My wife talks to herself under her breath a lot of the time.

Customer Question

My wife talks to herself under her breath a lot of the time. Seems in a world of her own, especially when she is tired. She twitches and eyes can roll. When busy can act quite "normally". It has been happen for years, but seems to be getting worse. She gets angry sometimes and imagines "people point fingers" or that various people are up to no good.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Your wife's behavior does seem to indicate that she is under some type of distress. I can think of several hypotheses, but would need some more information. Will your wife see a therapist for these issues? If she doesn't see a problem it will be very difficult for her to accept help. Does she think she has a problem? Is she having trouble coping with daily life? If you can give me more information I would be delighted to assist you in any way I can.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She does not see the problem and therefore would not see a therapist. We live in a very nice area with many of her family members near. She has been retired for many years, so it not a work related problem. Her behaviour is normal for 85% of the time. I am aways wondering how I can help her.
Thanks for the clarification, Paul. The best way you can help her is to just listen and be supportive. It sounds like she is not a danger to herself or others at this time, so if you can be her friend by listening without judgment, she will be more likely to come to you for help if her condition ever becomes more serious. It sounds to me like she may be dissociating due to anxiety and stress. This is not usually dangerous. She also may be experiencing some paranoia, but again, it appears to be quite mild at this time. Please let me know if you have any more questions or require clarification on any thing I have said.