Ask Dr. AMBRISH SINGAL M.D[ Psychiatry] Y...
Dr. AMBRISH SINGAL M.D[ Psychiatry]
Dr. AMBRISH SINGAL M.D[ Psychiatry], Psychiatrist
Experience:  PSYCHIATRIST ,SEX THERAPIST & DEADDICTION Expert M.D[Psychiatry] FIPS, MAPA, MAASECT, FCSEPI, MWASH.
14300679

What does it mean when you clapse your hands - your left thumb is on top !

Customer Question

Dear Dr. I am right handed but when i clapse my hand my left thumb on top. What does this mean?! Am aware of the left hemisphere which controls the right side of the body and vice versa. Is this also similar of the clapsing of hands. Am very confused about this issue that i sometimes clapse my hand the otherway to feel more rightly. Although it feels more comfortable with left thumb on top, the right now feels just about the same although unusual. I would love to understand the concept behind the clapsing of hands. I have read various articles on this topic and quizes but all seem contradictory that you could acually write a thesis on each. look forward to your answer.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 8 years ago.

There are lots of theories about what this kind of thing might mean but as far as I know there is no conclusive answer- as it sounds like you're finding in your research. There are some Eastern theories suggesting that when the left thumb is over the right that the "female" aspect of your personality (the creative, nurturing) is more dominant in your personality (this is why in some yoga or meditation practices one is asked to consciously place one's hands this way).

Alternatively, there are some theories that suggest that whichever side is on top indicates the more dominant influence of brain hemisphere (it sounds like you've read some about this). So, for you, it would mean that your right brain (expressed through the left side of your body) would be more prominent as a determinant of your thoughts, feelings, behavior, etc.

Again, these are some of the theories that I've read, but as far as I know there is no conclusive answer to the question you're asking.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank-you Dr but What should i do? Is it normal for a right handed person, to have the left thumb on top. How common is this?! Ave aways thought i. Is it wise to clapse my hand so my right thumb is on top Dr.
Expert:  Lively replied 8 years ago.

There is nothing wrong with it unless it is causing you significant distress. There is no data to suggest that clasping your hands one way versus another is better or worse in any way. Therefore, unless you're really bothered by it, I would try to just let your hands do what they naturally do; if it really bothers you than you can certainly consciously choose to fold them differently.

I don't know statistics on how common it is to fold your non-dominant thumb over the dominant one.

Expert:  Dr. AMBRISH SINGAL M.D[ Psychiatry] replied 8 years ago.

DEAR FRIEND,

IT DOESNT MATTER IN ANY WAY WHETHER U CLASP UR HANDS WITH RIGHT THUMP UP OR WITH LEFT THUMB UP.

BOTH ARE NORMAL AND VARIES FROM PERSON TO PERSON WHETHER THEY R RIGHT HANDED OR LEFT HANDED.

U CAN DO IT EITHER WAY U LIKE .

ITS NOT GOING TO AFFECT UR BRAINS FUNCTIONALITY OR UR PERFORMANCE IN WORK.

WHAT I AM FEELING IS THAT UR SYMPTOMS ARE POINTING TOWARDS OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER.

IT CAN BE MADE CLEAR IF U ASK SOME OF MY QUESTIONS-----

IS YOUR MIND REMAIN ENGAGED IN THIS THOUGHT .......MOST OF TIME THAT U TEND TO WASTE LOT OF TIME OVER THIS THOUGHT

HAS IT START AFFECTING UR PERFORMANCE AT WORK OR HOME...

IS THERE ALSO DIFFICULTY IN CONCENTRATING , DUE TO REPEAT BANGING OF THIS THOUGHT,

R U ALSO EXPERIENCING CHANGE IN UR SLEEP,

ANY HISTORY OF FREQUENT HEADACHES.

DO U KNOW SOMEWHERE IN UR MIND THAT THIS THOUGHT IS USELESS.......BUT STILL U R UNABLE TO STOP UR MIND FROM THINKING ON THIS ISSUE.........

IF U TRY TO STOP UR MIND FROM THIS-----THEN THERE IS FEELING OF RESTLESSNESS, DISCOMFORT ----

PLEASE ANSWER THEM SO I CAN CONCLUDE THE DIAGNOSIS AND CAN SUGGEST U SOMETHING.

THANKS AND GOOD DAY

DR AMBRISH SINGAL

CONSULTANT PSYCHIATRIST

Experience: PSYCHIATRIST ,SEX THERAPIST & DEADDICTION Expert M.D[Psychiatry] FIPS, MAPA, MAASECT, FCSEPI, MWASH.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dear Dr, thank -you for your response. As you can tell the issue is still giving me dilemma in my life. Hence why am back here looking for more answers. The issue has now statred to affect my relationship and my work 2. Thankfully i found a link which has addressd my question last year and you awaiting with with several questions. To answer your questions Dr.

IS YOUR MIND REMAIN ENGAGED IN THIS THOUGHT ...YES....MOST OF TIME THAT U TEND TO WASTE LOT OF TIME OVER THIS THOUGHT

HAS IT START AFFECTING UR PERFORMANCE AT WORK OR HOME..YES (but in a positive way (except that sometimes i struggle to write in public even though am a legal person and love wirting essays and journals ...all because my right tomb is on top)

IS THERE ALSO DIFFICULTY IN CONCENTRATING , DUE TO REPEAT BANGING OF THIS THOUGHT,..Yes

R U ALSO EXPERIENCING CHANGE IN UR SLEEP,...Not realy

ANY HISTORY OF FREQUENT HEADACHES.....Nop

DO U KNOW SOMEWHERE IN UR MIND THAT THIS THOUGHT IS USELESS....Yes...BUT STILL U R UNABLE TO STOP UR MIND FROM THINKING ON THIS ISSUE.....Yes....

IF U TRY TO STOP UR MIND FROM THIS---Yes--THEN THERE IS FEELING OF RESTLESSNESS, DISCOMFORT ---Yes-

Look forwad to your anwser Dr and solutions. I just love using my right hand and thought to try and ensure my right tomb is on top....didnt think it will have this much implications.