Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

Hi. Words can not describe how i feel. I dont know what i

Customer Question

Hi. Words can not describe how i feel. I don't know what i got. I suffered severly with social anxiety disorder and i couldn't leave the house. I use to get panic attacks. My life was under a rock. This was for about 1 and a half years when i was 16. At the age of 18, i discovered and i purchased the social anxiety CD. I was amazed. I had got my life back. I was able to go places on my own and i loved it. My anxiety had gone. However, as of the past 2 weeks its all come back. I can no longer go shopping and i get scared when i leave the house. My dream is to just have a life where i don't have anxiety or panic attacks. Let me describe 2 u wats happening now. I hate being noticed. Even if im sitting in my house and i hear cars go past, i can't stand it, i feel worried and sometimes my face feels heavy like my eyes and nose. I can't live like this again. I hated it. I want it gone. What problem do i have? I don't like being noticed and if i do, i feel uneasyand panicky
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like you have an anxiety disorder with agoraphobia, and perhaps some tendency towards obsessive thinking. While your symptoms are extreme and I'm sure feel absolutely awful, this is generally a very treatable condition- as you have experienced in the past through your hard work on changing your thoughts.

What happens when you try to use these skills now? Have you returned to the tenets of the program you used in the past? Have you ever (or are you now) taken medication for anxiety? I would think that returning to the kind of cognitive behavioral program that you used in the past, plus potentially adding some medication to help you manage the more extreme symptoms in the short-term, would be a very effective combination for treating your anxiety disorder.

If you don't already have a psychiatrist, I would think that the first step for you would be to find someone near you to meet with, who could potentially prescribe you medication. That person can also either help you follow the behavioral program or recommend someone else who can.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have gone back to using my social anxiety CD. But, you know the problem i have, is that a social anxiety disorder? The fear of being noticed. Do you know of any good sites or something because i could have told myself that i needed to see a psychiatrist.
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.

It does sound like social anxiety/social phobia to me- including your fear of being noticed. In fact, this is one of the hallmarks of a social phobia. I would suggest your checking out the website and also You might also play with the website as this helps people identify and correct irrational thoughts- my guess is that the focus of this site is similar to the social anxiety CD that you're using but could be a good reinforcer of these habits.

Please let me know if you have other questions.