JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

I think Im depressed or have some sort of psychiatric issues.

Customer Question

I think I'm depressed or have some sort of psychiatric issues. I have felt this way for as long as I can remember, but I lost a lot of weight 2 years ago and felt completely fine for about a year and a half but then my husband got mad at me because I was going out all the time. I am an all or nothing type person so I stopped going out and now I am gaining weight and have no motivation to do anything. If my friends call, I don't answer the phone. There are dirty dishes that have been sitting in the sink for 5 days and I have no motivation to do them. I have money in the bank but haven't payed my bills. My favorite thing to do is sleep. I would like to sleep all day on the weekends and go to bed right when I get home from work. Lately I get extremely stressed at work and get shaky and sweaty. I hate my doctor because I feel like I am a number and don't want to tell her and I also don't want my medical records documented saying I have "issues". Do you think I'm depressed? What should I do
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 5 years ago.
Hi Christy,

Yes, I think you are experiencing symptoms of depression. I cannot make a diagnosis without conducting an evaluation, but I think you definitely need to get in to see a psychologist. It sounds like you have lost hope that things can get better. Additionally, it sounds like you are having some problems in your marriage, which can certainly contribute to depressive symptoms. I suggest that you make an appointment to see a psychologist in your area ASAP. You need to figure out what is making you so depressed. It sounds like you feel as though you are stuck in a rut. If you go to see a psychologist you might be able to sort through some of this and make some changes for the better.

Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience: I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I haven't lost hope that things can better. I just want to not be a normal person and not lazy and do the things I need to do. I also don't want anyone to know about this. Do you know if I have to get a referral to a psychologist with a HMO for insurance? I don't want this in my medical records.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Oooops,guess I should have reread what I typed.

I haven't lost hope that things can better. I just want to (take the not out =) ) be a normal person and not lazy and do the things I need to do. I also don't want anyone to know about this. Do you know if I have to get a referral to a psychologist with a HMO for insurance? I don't want this in my medical records.
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 5 years ago.
Hi Christy,

You should not need a referral, but I think you might consider calling your HMO to ask them about it. These companies vary with respect to this issue. Most likely, you will not need a referral because mental health services are carved out of your medical coverage. You should be able to just call a psychologist and make an appointment. First, of course, you will want to make sure that the psychologist will accept your insurance. Good luck.