Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

A person I know has told me that God told them that I was sick

A person I know has told me that God told them that I was sick and dying. Should I be worried about this person's mental health.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.
Hi:

Thanks for using Justanswer.com. This person has told you that God has told them something about your health. I am assuming that you are feeling fine and have no medical problems. I can understand how you would be confused about this state of affairs.

As for worrying about the person's mental health, I don't necessarily think you should be worried, but I can say that sometimes folks who have delusions believe God is talking to them. This is different than God talking to them through prayer or reading holy books. They believe that God is speaking to them is a special way and divulging information to them only and no one else.

If this were my friend, I would ask them what exactly God said about me and listen to the answer. I would also observe how this person functions in his or her family and at work. If there are no problems, then any mental health issues are probably minor. If they are having trouble coping with daily life, and this behavior is impacting their important relationships, then you do have some cause for concern.

Please let me know if this has been helpful. If you can provide more information I will be happy to answer you further. I wish you well. Take care