Dr Dan
Dr Dan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, BSc (Hons I). House Medical Officer.
14072322

Does a mental hospital have the right to take my sister who

Customer Question

Does a mental hospital have the right to take my sister who overdosed on her insulin for her diabeties (tried to commit suicide), but the hospital has been taking care of her and has got her back to health, This Mountain crest is telling us that she is their property. Is that true?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr Dan replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your question on JustAnswer.

This sounds like a health as well as a legal question. I can comment on the health aspect, but I'm not sure of the legal status of this in your state.

The hospital cannot own a person, or have a person as its "property". However hospitals can detain people and treat them against their will in very specific situations.

These situations are where a condition is immediately life threatening, and where a person is a danger to himself or herself or a danger to others.

In practise this means that people who try to kill themselves, or who try to hurt or kill others, can be detained in a mental health facility for treatment of this.

Note that this is a guide from general health principles. If you'd like to know your legal options, you will need to submit a question in JustAnswer's legal category.

I hope I have helped,
Dr Dan