Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

Woman age 23, takes lithium 300mg 2X daily. I want to wean

Customer Question

Woman age 23, takes lithium 300mg 2X daily. I want to wean off. How can I do that safely?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 5 years ago.

Lisa,

You are taking 600 mg Lithium daily and want to safely wean off the Lithium. Lithium is usually used to treat bipolar disorder. You may not want to hear my answer, but you really should discuss weaning off this drug with your doctor. You say that you have already tried to stop completely and became very anxious and emotional. It is possible that you may need to take another drug to help you wean off the Lithium and that only can be done under medical supervision. Also, if your symptoms return you may place yourself in a dangerous situation. I want you to be safe, and if you don't like your doctor or trust your doctor, please find another one to help you with this. Can you tell me why you want to be off the Lithium? Is it because of side effects, or do you want to be off medicine entirely? Please let me know what you are thinking about this. This is an important issue, and you need to move forward with caution. I will assist you in any way I can to resolve this situation. Take care.

Experience: APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I want to be off medications completely. I have entered a program that helps you with life controlling issues and I want to be off Lithium. I just need a doctor's schedule to wean off. I have spoke with my doctor. He professes meds. I want to try no meds, but know I must wean off - not stop immediately. I have only been taking Lithium for less than 6 months. I want to try no meds. No lithium or any other drug. I just need a lesser perscription to start reducing intake. Any other thoughts and suggestions ar every much appreciated. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I want to be off Lithium permantly and work with my behavioral issues to deal with my decision making I have started at Teen Challenge. I want to try it the right way.
Any help is very much appreciated.
Thank you
Lisa, if you want to be off the Lithium and can have your doctor help you taper off the Lithium, you should work with a cognitive-behavioral therapist to manage the mood swings you will probably have when off the Lithium. Unfortunately, I do not have a suggestion for a tapering schedule for you. I can only suggest that you contact your doctor again and insist on a taper schedule while assuring your doctor that you are working intensively to manage your symptoms.

I hope this has been helpful. I wish you well. Take care.