JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

I have been in therapy now for a month or so, and recently

Customer Question

I have been in therapy now for a month or so, and recently we discussed how i get into terrible relationships time after time. He doesn't know of any abuse or anything like that, but says we need to talk about this more. What could he possibly want me to do or to talk about to fix this problem? I don't have an abusive father or anything like that so thats not the problem. PLease help so I know what Im getting into.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 7 years ago.

Your therapist is probably trying to better understand why you seem to get involved in bad relationships. If he can gain a better understanding of what is going on, he might be able to help you understand the emotional meaning behind your choices in romantic relationships. I encourage you to push through your discomfort with this issue. More than likely, you are feeling somewhat uncomfortable because you are unconsciously trying to protect yourself from experiencing unpleasant feelings. A general rule in thumb is: If it feels uncomfortable, it probably means that it is important and you should talk more about it. As people, we have a tendency to want to avoid talking about unpleasant memories. Your therapist is just trying to help you better understand yourself. That will be the only way you can change how you handle your relationships. Hang in there. Therapy feels quite uncomfortable at times. All of our previous relationships influence our current pattern of behavior in relationships. Your therapist just wants to understand you better. I hope this helps to ease your anxiety about it.

Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.