Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

Do you find that we are attracted today to theories that are

Customer Question

Do you find that we are attracted today to theories that are observable and can be immediately proven or more to those theories, like Freud, which seem to be applicable, but are not easily tested?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 8 years ago.

Hi:

If you are talking about professionals, I don't think it is a matter of being attracted to certain theories, rather it is a matter of what insurance companies will pay for. Insurance companies want a written treatment plan with measureable outcomes. That suggests some type of cognitive, behavioral or solution-focused therapy. While the psychodynamic (Freudian) theories certainly have value, they generally take longer so the insurance companies are reluctant to pay for that type of treatment.

If you are asking about the general public, I have found in my practice that in recent years, clients are more interested in solutions and rapid relief of their symptoms. I suppose it is a sign of the times, but people come to me and they expect to leave that first session feeling better. I can usually help them to feel more empowered and give them suggestions to help them gain control of some of their symptoms, so from a behavioral standpoint, they receive an immediate reward for the risk of coming to therapy. Does that answer your question?