Dr Sameer Kauchali
Dr Sameer Kauchali, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a diploma in Mental Health and app 5 years of clinical experience in General Psychiatry

I am taking Cymbalta for depression but am changing to EffexorXr

I am taking Cymbalta for depression but am changing to EffexorXr .How do I make the transition safely?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr Sameer Kauchali replied 7 years ago.
Cymbalta (Duloxetine) is generally prescribed where there is pain with depressive symptoms. Effexor is better where you are looking for not only the treatment of depressive symptoms, but also to give you the energy/motivation , or the "push" that is needed. To switch over, firstly NEVER stop the Cymbalta suddenly as changes in the brain occur slowly and will take time to adjust to changes. You could start the Effexor in low doses and titrate slowly upwards as generally prescribed by the package insert at the same time as slowly decreasing the Duloxetine over a period of 2 - 3 weeks. If you suffer from high blood pressure, it is important to monitor it especially in the beginning of starting Effexor. It is important to note that the "energy" giving aspect of Effexor only kicks in towards the higher doses, and it would be adviced that you inform your psychiatrist/physician if you do not respond to the medication at your prescribed doses.

Hope that helps.