JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

I have been on dosulepin for depression for 6 years now and

Customer Question

I have been on dosulepin for depression for 6 years now and my doctor keeps on telling me i should come off them and i have been reducing how often i take them but i get withdrawel symptoms and i often feel depressed but my doctor told me i should just go cold turkey what do you advise?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 7 years ago.
Hi Curly,

If you are on anti-depressant medication for 6 years, it is probably not a great idea to go cold turkey without getting into psychotherapy for your depression first. I recommend that you make an appointment to see a clinical psychologist who can work in conjunction with your doctor to provide you with the best support possible. You are correct in thinking that you will experience some withdrawal like symptoms. I think you can do it cold turkey, but I strongly suggest you get into psychotherapy first. Speak with your doctor about this.

Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.