Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

I am trying to recover from a marital breakdown and work related

I am trying to recover from a marital breakdown and work related stress that has led to me being of work sick now for 3 months. I feel that low self esteem is at the root of my problems. I want to change th qway I deal with life and my perceptions of mtself. There was alot of illness in my family growing up. What therapies could help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like you could benefit from a psychodynamically-oriented psychotherapy. This kind of therapy involves finding a psychologist who works from this perspective (just ask them what theoretical orientation they have), and usually involves at least once per week therapy sessions focused on talking about the ways that your upbringing and past affect your current life and relationships (including your relationship with yourself, or your self-esteem). I think that this model would best fit your goals and needs right now, but you should know that this work tends to be longer-term. For a more approximate estimate of how long it would take, you could talk to the psychologist after your first session or two.

Good luck!