Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I have bipolar disoder and I think I may be pregnant.I take

I have bipolar disoder and I think I may be pregnant.I take 150mg of Lamictin,1mg of Risperdal and 75mg of Venlor per day.Would this be harmful to the fetus?Are there natural remedies that can be used during pregnancy?I have not had an episode in seven years.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to just answer.

I would like to appreciate your presence of mind as you have put forth a very important question.

I must tell you that most of the psychiatric drugs including the 3 drugs which you are on are Teratogenic that is they are capable of causing fetal malformations if they are taken during pregnancy.

So yes it can pose a threat to the developing fetus , if you continue with the 3 drugs --lamicitin, risperdal &venlor , during your pregnancy. But since there are no absolutes in this world , so these drugs may not effect the fetus ,afterall. But , we can not take such a chance.

So i would suggest you , that , once it is confirmed that you are pregnant , you should consult your psychiatrist and discuss the possible treatment options, the doctor may put your psychiatric medications on hold or may stop the 2 and continue with low dose mood stabilizer which may or may not be lamicitin, depending upon the doctors judgment. To add to your benefit since past 7 years you have had no episode , this makes it really positive.

Also consult your gynaecologist and provide all the necessary details about your treatment.

I wish everything works out really well for you.

Regards....

------------------------------

Please press the ACCEPT button if you feel satisfied with my answer and kindly leave a Positive Feedback if possible.