JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
11111309

My wife of 28 years displays behaviour consistent with all

My wife of 28 years displays behaviour consistent with all the criterias as defined in the DSM for Personality Disorder. Yet, 2 psychiatrists dismissed that she suffers from any mental disorder. Could her propensity to deceive is skewing the diagnosis of the professionals?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Being_Mindful replied 8 years ago.

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

-What are some of the symptoms that you see that fit the DSM criteria

-What exactly did the psychiatrists say?

- Does she often get in trouble with the law?

- Does she damage public property?

The more you can share the better we can help.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Symptoms: (most common)

- Persistent lying

- Artificially charming to others

- Use of deception to get her way

- Lack of remorse or guilt for hurting others

- Failure to meet commitments/procrastination

- She does not get in trouble with the law or damage property

- She does not get physical when angry

- She exhibits extreme mood swings and thought she was Bipolar

- The psychiatrists said that they could not find anything wrong with her

Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 8 years ago.
Hi elaheef,

It sounds like she is displaying symptoms consistent with a serious deficit in superego functioning, which essentially means that she is psychopathic. When one fails to experience guilt and remorse for hurting others, you can pretty much key in on anti-social personality disorder. I cannot be sure without conducting an evaluation, but I'm guessing she is crafty enough to confuse the psychiatrists. Many psychopaths are able to make people believe them. If she truly is a psychopath, I have to wonder why you are still with her. It seems like this would be a very destructive relationship for you. Frankly, psychiatrists are not going to be able to help you fix your wife. You cannot make someone develop a conscience and it sounds like your wife is lacking in this area. Long term psychotherapy might help to some degree, but she will likely engage in the same dishonest pattern with her therapist.

Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience: I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.