Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I am an 42 year old schizo-affcted male who has a problem with

I am an 42 year old schizo-affcted male who has a problem with Benzodiazapines (ie) Vaium Dalmane have reduced dose Valium to 5mg's daily from 40 mg's ran out of Dalmane.Also hav been taking Halcion ever once in a while. Problem is I don't want to stop taking them.I have been on them most of my life and only recently started ausing them.Have not informed my psychiatrist of this.What should I do?is my health in danger?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to just answer.

Please help me to understand your question?

From what i can interpret from your question is that you have been placed on Benzodiazepines such as Valium(diazepam), Dalmane(flurazepam) and on and off, you also have been taking Halcion( triazolam). Is that right?

Now what concerns you is that , without knowledge of your psychiatrist you have made some changes on your medications on your own , what are these changes i would like to know?

Is it that, you have been addicted to benzodiazepines as they make you feel better and of late you have started abusing them, without the knowledge of your doctor?

Please try to be open about your condition , as only then, i would know what exactly is going on and how i can help you.Please do not think of my query as some kind of interrogation tool, I just want to help you, i believe you will understand.

Regards....

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I must be addicted iv been taking them continuiosly for five years.Was taken off Halcion about two months ago and put back on Dalmane iv beeen back and forth on benzo sleep med's but mostly Dalmane.In fact iv tried almost all of them all benzo's and a couple others. The changes in my med's is that I am abuesing them now and iv lowered the dose without his no'ing it I have been on reduced dose of valium 20mg's 30mg's now 40mg's I m the one who makes request.I bounce around depending on how i feel.And yes they make me feel better on high dose's.Also on Zyprea 15mg's lithium 900mg's zoloft100mg's these med's I always take as directed. Problem being i feel benzo'sare causeing insomnia now.My Psychiatrist may be aware i have ask to go higher than 40mg's although he's said nothing but swtching Klonapin

Well , there is no denying of the fact that , being a known Schizo- affective , one is placed on anti psychotics, mood stabilizers, anti-anxiety drugs., as that has been in your case.

The bezodiazepines which you have been using so indifferently , are actually required to bring down the anxiety and potentate the effects of antipsychotics and mood stabilizers.

But , you definitely have become not only dependent/addicted to them , but because of your changing the benzodiazepines so abrubtly and frantically, it has decreased their effect which is expected of them ( that is you have become resistant to them), and thus there is insomnia and other related symptoms. In pure medical term we call it as Drug Abuse.

Please , try to understand my point here, you need to consult your psychiatrist and come out clean in front of him, tell him about the abrupt changeovers that you have been indulging in from one benzodiazepine to another , along with change of doses at your own discretion. This is important because , from where you are standing right now, things can only go out of hand, that is if you are going to follow this routine further, then the efficacy of these benzodiazeoines will get over and you will not be able to get benefit from them. And mind it , this will not be a good picture as resistance developed against benzodiazepines , means very few drugs will be left to fall back on.

So, i would suggest you to consult your psychiatrist and discuss about which benzodiazepine you should be kept on and please stick to the treatment prescribed by your doctor . As for your other drugs are concerned (Zyprea, lithium, zoloft), they seem to be in sync with your condition requirements, so you may continue with them.

Just get your Serum lithium levels checked, as we would not want any lithium toxicity at this point, since you have been on lithium for quite a while.

I hope my answer serves your purpose well.

Regards...

---------------------------------------

Please Press the ACCEPT button if you feel satisfied with my answer and kindly leave a Positive Feedback if possible.

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry