Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

My weight has been the reason for my depression for many years,

My weight has been the reason for my depression for many years, I have tried every diet and every pill to lose weight and it might work for a while but then it will go back on. I have begged my doctor to help, they sent me to see a 'weight specialist' and then they never wrote back to me, I feel invisable. I keep going back to ask for help and they give me anti depressants which help for a while but I KNOW that until I lose weight I will never be happy, I have thought long and hard and I want surgery. My doctors nod and smile and say come back in a month. Why won't anyone listen? It took all my courage last time to go see them and I came away feeling ashamed and upset. I can't cope anymore. What can I do? I cry all the time, can't sleep, my body aches and getting slightly out of breath hurts my chest.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

You seem to be too distressed about your health that you have stopped loving yourself.

If you are not going to give respect and love to your body , then no one else will.

Well, i can understand how important it is for you to be slim and healthy, but the first thing you need to do in order to achieve your goal is to stop self pity.

I know it must be a repetition of sorts that you must have heard from every other doctor you had seen regarding your problem, and to some extent i would agree with you that in order to over come your depression you need to loose weight, but one thing bothers me and that is a young intelligent woman such as yours , how come you have given up already.

I would like to help as much as i can , but you need to first listen to me without keeping any of your prejudices intact and with an open mind.

Are you ready for that, then i am waiting for your answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I will try anything, I want to have a better life

That is a positive approach.

Answer a few questions of mine..

What is your body mass index, if you know that is calculated by your weight in kg divided by height in metre square or just tell me your weight and height , i will calculate it?

What all slimming drugs have you taken so far?

Besides the anridepressants that you have mentioned , are there any other drugs which you had taken and want to tell ?

Since when are you taking anti depressants?

Are your parents also having trouble with overweight, i mean is there any family tendancy?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I worked my BMI to be 45. I cannot really remember the names of the slimming drugs I have tried, just ones from the internet. I do not not or ever will take any illegal drugs. I have been taking anti depressants on and off for about 6 years. My parents do not have weight issues.

O.k , your BMI is 45, which puts you in a category of morbid obesity, please do not mind my saying that , as i do not want to offend you but have to use it as technical term.

This makes you a candidate for Bariatric Surgery, then why are your doctors averse to the idea of undergoing that surgery, are there any complications which i should be aware of.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No complications but I can only assume that the NHS does not want to pay for it and they know that I cannot afford it myself so therefore just keep brushing me off with anti depressants which are just not helping. I feel that when I go to the doctor I switch off emotionally and I can't help but feel that because I am not screaming and crying when I am there that they just think 'send her on her way'.

I am sorry to know about the approach of doctors, but since Bariatric surgery is a specialist job and there are not many with such expertise, so may be they are overburdened with patients such as yours. But that does not solve our problem.

See one thing is sure that your depression is due to your weight problem and in fact reducing your weight is any time a bigger and far more important issue than depression as of now. I suggest that you should go ahead with Bariatric Surgery, it surely will help in many ways than one , but the problem is that you cannot afford it in U.K.

So, i think i have an idea , why dont you go out to another country on the basis of medical tourism and get yourself operated upon.

Your tickets, stay and the cost of operation , all these expenses will come out to be much less than the operation carried out in U.K . Plus the state of the art hospital with top surgeons pERFORMING the surgery will not make you feel any different from your own country.

One such country is India, where an increasing number of people come for medical tourism. I shall give you one site address , that probably will help you making your decision., the site address is www.wockhardthospitals.net or www.wockhardt.com.

Go on to this site and sort out your expenses and take the necessary decision.

Wish you good health.

Regards...

------------------------------------

Please press the Accept Button if you feel satisfied with my answer and kindly leave a positive response if possible.