JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

My daughter, 28, has been given liquid prozac as an anti-depressant

Customer Question

My daughter, 28, has been given liquid prozac as an anti-depressant (started about 2-3 weeks ago). Dosage is 1 mml for her. She has experienced heart racing, sleeplessness to the point that she is taking klonipin to calm her down to try to sleep, has now tried ambien all to no effect. She also contracted a UTI last week. She tells me the heart racing has subsided somewhat but that the exhaustion from sleeplessness has compounded her anxiety issues which of course leads to the snowball effect of anti-anxiety meds to counteract the other...I am frantic to find out what she can do to get some sleep so she can cope. She just moved to NYC so that's adding to the stress.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 7 years ago.
Hi khardy,

I can certainly understand your distress and frustration with this situation. The golden rule is that everyone reacts differently to different psychoactive medications. Some folks respond well to SSRI medication, especially when their depression is severe and uncontrollable. However, I believe too many folks are being put on SSRI medications for mild to moderate symptoms of depression or anxiety. She likely needs to contact her psychiatrist to get some advice about switching medications, however, many folks have strong reactions to SSRI's in general. These drugs can be helpful for folks who are extremely depressed; however, I would not recommend these for mild to moderate symptoms. If your daughter truly needs the medication, she ought to seek out consultation, perhaps with another psychiatrist in the area. Some psychiatrists are overzealous with the SSRI's, to the point that I believe it harms the patient in the long run. That being said, there is no such thing as a perfect combination of drugs to treat symptoms of depression and anxiety. If her sleep issues continue, she will likely need to adjust her medication dosage or perhaps switch to a different SSRI. However, she needs to consult with her treating physician about her options. It could also be the move to NY is causing increased distress that makes it hard for her to sleep. Combined with her new medications, it sounds like a recipe for some problems. Let me stress that SSRI's do not come without their side effects.

Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I get paid for my work.

Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks...I imagine she'll be contacting her dr. there tomorrow for some further advice. He doesn't seem to be terribly sympathetic to the side effects which are not conducive to a "normal" life to say the least. And yes, the move to NYC, the boyfriend, the unemployment...all have added to an already volatile situation. Thanks again for your time!
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 7 years ago.
No problem. Good luck getting her some help. I would recommend that she find a new psychologist as well. Given her life problems, I think she could use some support.