Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

I believe I have a bipolar child in my kindergarten class.

I believe I have a bipolar child in my kindergarten class. What can I do to help her?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.

Could you please tell -

What made you think that this child has a bipolar disorder?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Some days she seems to be fine -not very many, Other days she comes in with her head down and bored with everything. She wants to have friends but treats other students hatefully--sticks out tongue, tells them she is smarter than them, takes on the roll of "boss of the world", makes fun of them, talks all the time. She will come up behind me a put her hands on my breasts. The other day she was playing with herself in the bathroom, some girls ran out very upset. When I went in she had her hands on her private parts. Her mom has said she never sleeps. When she is in a group, she never lets anyone else have an opinion. She doesn't seem to listen when I try to give her advice on how to behave. She has an aunt who was in our school who behaved a lot like she does. She has now been kicked out of school with no option to return (Her mother-my students grandmother- blames everyone else but I don't know that anyone has helped her medically.)
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.

I do appreciate your concern about this child a lot .On the basis of symptoms you have described,it seems you are correct that, this child do needs help.

But before we can reach to a conclusion,she needs a proper Psychiatric evaluation.Symptoms of Bipolar disorder overlaps with ADHD also,although you have clearly and precisely mentioned some symptom which may go against this !

You have already mentioned that - you have tried a lot,but one thing also to be avoided here is to reprimanded her openly as it could further result in a severe blow in her self esteem which should not happen at this stage.

You also seems to have done a good amount of research on the symptoms of Bipolar disorder in children, and you can discuss about these symptoms with the child parents and the school management.
You also need to tell them that Psychiatric disorder if present such as Bipolar disorder are difficult to treat in children and require early and timely intervention.

(A good idea here would be to give them some print out about the sympXXXXX XXXXXst,so that they can themself decide, what is wrong and what is not.)

If you have any other question, please let me know.