JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
11111309

I HAVE BEEN TREATED FOR DEPRESSION FOR MANY YEARS NOW. IHAVE

I HAVE BEEN TREATED FOR DEPRESSION FOR MANY YEARS NOW. IHAVE BEEN, AND STILL AM, ON VARIOUS MEDS. I JUST REALIZED THAT ONE, IF NOT THE, MAJOR PROBLEM, AND PERHAPS THE CAUSE OF MY APPARENT DEPRESSION, IS LOW OR NO SELF-ESTEEM. I AM ON AN HMO, AND HAVE BEEN (AND STILL AM) UNDER THE CARE OF A PSYCHIATRIST, BUT HE ONLY WRITES RX'S, A ND DOES NOT ENGAGE IN THERAPY OF ANY SORT. I SEE HIM ONCE A MONTH, ON AVERAGE. THE MEDS COST A LOT; I'M TIRED OF TAKING THEM, AND SPENDING MONEY ON THEM. WHAT CAN I DO TO TAKE AFFIRMATIVE ACTION ABOUT THIS LOW-OR-NO SELF-ESTEEM PROBLEM? IT SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN ONGOING SINCEW I WAS A LITTLE CHILD. I WAS GOING FOR THERAPY AS A TEENAGER, BUT I USUALLY JUST SAT THERE AND NEITHER OFFERED NOR CONTRIBUTED TO ANY VERBAL EXCHANGES. PLEASE HELP ME! I'M 66 YEARS OLD, AND DESPERATE!
Hi needhelpnow,

It sounds like you are fed up with the medication, especially since it has had limited efficacy in treating your depression. I want to stress something that is rarely stressed in modern medicine: DEPRESSION IS A SYMPTOM OF SOMETHING...NOT A DISEASE. Folks often times present in my office with a complaint of depression, but I never accept "depression" as a complaint. I can do nothing to treat "depression." However, I can certainly help folks who are willing to explore the possible reasons for their so-called "depression." When people experience strong negative emotions (e.g., sadness about loss, anger, etc.) it can result in depression if it is not handled properly. It sounds like you are just recently realizing how much your unstable sense of self is impacting your ability to find happiness. There is not a single medication in existence that can "improve your self-esteem." The fact is, you will likely need several years of psychoanalytic treatment with a psychologist who specializes in this sub-type of therapy. I recommend that you go to see a clinical psychologist who specializes in analytic or psychodynamic treatment. The catch is that you will have to be willing to talk and must actively participate in the discussion. This will take a lot of work, but it might actually help you resolve your depressive symptoms.

Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSE. I'M ON AN HMO; HOW DO I GO ABOUT FINDING SOMEONE WHO PRACTICES IN THE MANNER(S) THAT YOU HAVE STATED?
I would suggest that you contact your HMO and ask if they have any psychotherapists who report specializing in psychodynamic or psychoanalytic psychotherapy. The other option would be to contact a psychologist in the area and ask for a referral. A psychologist in your area might know the right direction. First check with your insurance, then try word of mouth referrals. I believe this would be the best type of psychotherapy and it should not be too hard for you to find.