JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

I have suffered life long major clinical depression and am

Customer Question

I have suffered life long major clinical depression and am on permenant disability. ECT treatment has helped me, tremendously. I do not have a rapport with my psychiatrist and on several occasions, he has been rude to me. I feel uncomfortable with him. I experience anxiety when I see him. I sense for whatever reason, this doctor does not like me. He is also a devout Mormon and I feel he judges me because I am not. I called the University in my city where they do ECT, however, they will not accept me as a patient unless I get a referral from him. I dread telling him I want another doctor. There is no rapport in this patient/doctor relationship. I need ECT to function normally as it has been the only treatment that works for me. How do I get rid of him? He doesn't like me and to be treated rudely by this doctor is painful. I sense something that I can't pin point in this patient/doctor relationship. I'm to the point where I'm finding it hard to even look at him.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 7 years ago.

I would like to make a couple of points regarding your situation. First, you may be having such a strong reaction to your doctor because he reminds you of another judgmental authority figure in your past. I'm guessing that you have difficulty trusting people and forming lasting relationships. More than likely, you are mad at your doctor because it is easier to mad at him than it is to admit your anger at the person in your past that really upset you. Nevertheless, if you truly believe that you cannot work with this doctor, I suggest that you tell him about your reaction in treatment thus far. It would be really really important to discuss your reaction to his attitude with you. If you don't, he will not know that you are reacting this way. I think that maybe you wish he could just read your mind so that you would not have to tell him. However, I think you really need to discuss your feelings with him, as he may agree that it would be best to refer you to another doctor. This is not about him, this is about you getting the treatment you need. Bring this issue up in your next meeting. As a clinician myself, I would prefer it if my patients were just honest with me. It helps in treatment.

Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks, JR. Coming from Utah there is a strong Mormon influence, naturally. This doctor is Mormon and I do feel he is judgmental against me because I'm not Mormon and I have felt this issue in the past.

I agree whole hearted with you that I need to confront him with my feelings. I appreciate your taking the time to answer this issue.