Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

My cousin frequently engages in baby talk. She is 55 years

My cousin frequently engages in baby talk. She is 55 years old, and often slips into this lisping, baby like talking. Her sister is very aggravated by this. I think it is kind of funny. Is she just trying to be funny or is she having some issues of perhaps insecurity or some inability to deal with the real world? She is unmarried and has moved from job to job. I hope it isn't a sign of an impending breakdown. Any idea?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.

Since when you have notices this condition?

Has she been suffering from any disease (medical or Psychiatric) in recent or past specially Hypertension or DM ?

What exactly you mean by baby talking? (please give an example!)
Any history of head injury?

Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My cousin was diagnosed over a year ago with multiple sclerosis. She saw another doctor who did tests and said no, she did not have multiple sclerosis. She told me she had some "spots" on her brain that remain unexplained. Her new job disallows any pre-existing condition to be covered, so she won't go to any more doctors about this. She has no history of head injury. An example of her baby talk is to call the cane she uses for balance "her buddy", and she lisps and says she takes her buddy everywhere. Or she might say, "my feets are coldy, so I need my fuzzy sockies". My other cousin and I wonder if she is doing this to get attention as if she needs the kind of attention a child gets, or if it could be something more serious. She has been doing this for about a year, but lately, almost everything she says is just very silly sounding.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the information.The cause of speech like this can be related to some neurological dysfunction also.There are some types of Aphasia in which patients do present with similar presentation (To say with certainty, a detailed Neurological evaluation is required)

For example in Anomic aphasia, also nominal aphasia,which is a minimal type of aphasia mostly affects the ability of someone to produce the right name for a person or object. These persons may resort to descriptions instead of the actual names of objects.

I hope it helps.

Regards