Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Im having increased difficulties in dealing with normal, everyday

I'm having increased difficulties in dealing with normal, everyday life when being around other people. In these situations my heart rate increases substantially, all my muscles (especially neck area) tense and I can't stop shaking. As I travel alot with work this can be especially problematic when I need to really push myself to go for evening meals and drinks, etc.
I've seen my GP a few times about this and have tried magnesium sulphate and also therapy, neither of which has really touched on the cause of these symptoms. Help!

hi there,

Do you mean to say that you feel discomfort , a kind of stiffling experience , and anxiety when you are not home among your near and dear ones and have gone to an open space where there are lots of people around you making you feel claustrophobic?

Since when are you having this problem?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dr Kauskik, thankyou for your reply.
It's not quite a claustrophopic feeling, although I sometimes feel like running away at the time! I tend to feel more comfortable around people that I know but if i'm within sight range of someone i don't it feels uncomfortable and so the 'episode' begins...
I've had this problem for about 3 years now and foolishly thought it was just a phase and would go away but it keeps repeating itself everytime i feel a little adventurous and venture out into the 'unknown'.
Hope this makes some sort of sense, it certainly doesn't to me!

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in my response.

Well the condition that you are suffering from is a type of Phobic Anxiety disorder called as Agoraphobia, in which a person likes to be in the confines of his home , surrounded by near and dear ones and becomes extremely uncomfortable , apprehensive and shows traits of anxiety such as palpitation( that is increase heart rate),fearfulness, feeling of impending doom, chest tightness muscle cramps and shakes, breathlessness,etc when he is exposed to an unfamiliar open place surrounded by unknown faces.

This is different from claustrophobia and somewhat close to social phobia but has its own uniqueness.

The good news is that it is treatable, provided that you have the motivation and will power to do it and i am sure you have both.

The treatment is as follows---

1) Cognitive behaviour therapy which is a type of psychotherapy (professional counselling) offered by a trained psychiatrist or a clinical psychologist.

2) Anti anxiety drugs such as buspirone or lorazepam or clonazepam.

3) Ant depressants such as Fluoxetine or paroxetine as they have good anti anxiety effects.

All these treatment should be provided by a psychiatrist , and it will be foe few months only and yes it will not give you any sort of label which might scare you., so relax.

Just tell your sychiatrist that what your schedule is so that he does not give you drugs which make you sleepy or sloppy in morning , plus what drugs i have mentioned have least side effects and will not affect your lifestyle and you may be discrete about your therapy to others , as they wont be able to know .

Wish you good health.

Please press the accept button if you feel satisfied with my answer.