JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
11111309

i think im seriously depressed , im hardly eating..i sleep

i think im seriously depressed , im hardly eating..i sleep all day and am awak for a few hours at night , i avoid as many people i know for as long as i can, i seem to be assasinating my work which i get no joy out anymore even though it was once my passion, i fantasise about commiting suicide on a daily basis, i have no will to find love as i dont feel like it exsists and i expect that i will only be humiliated brief encounters, i cant pay my bills on time even thoug have money just coz i would rather sleep than go to the bank ....im sure theres more...anyway i need help but i dont know how things work as i am an immigrant from england i have no health insurance ...and i just dont understand the system....that coupled with the fact that of course i have huge reservations about seeking help are making things very hard
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 6 years ago.
Hi Martin,

I think you have a pretty serious problem and need to see a psychologist as soon as possible. If you are not able to get out of bed and are experiencing the type of symptoms you are describing, it sounds like a major depressive episode. Additionally, given your history of depression, you really need to go see a therapist to talk about all of these issues you have been holding inside. Quite literally, these issues are eating you from the inside out. Your psychological discomfort and distress is physically impacting you. When it reaches this point, the first step would be to get in to treatment. I believe you probably should see a clinical psychologist first and you may then be referred for a medication evaluation with a psychiatrist. If you do not have insurance, you can utilize resources like the local community services board (CSB) in your area. You can find the number to the CSB in your phone book or online. The CSB will offer reduced rates or even free services if you really cannot afford therapy. I think this would be a great starting place for you. I know it can be hard to ask for help and even embarrassing, but I really believe that you need this support right now. There is nothing shameful about admitting that you need a helping hand when you are really down. In fact, it would show your desire to help yourself by allowing someone to help you. If you are suicidal, you absolutely need to get in as soon as possible. If you start planning how you are going to hurt yourself, you need to go to the hospital for an evaluation right away.

Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience: I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.