Being_Mindful
Being_Mindful, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Masters in Clinical Counseling & Completing Doctorate in Psyh. 3 Yrs. Exper w/ Diverse Populations
13655154

My 21-year-old son has been diagnosed with schizophrenia.

My 21-year-old son has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. He is very bright, was at a top college before dropping out because he couldn't stay organized or focused. He's now taking 2400 mg Seroquel, and doing much better, attending a community college, but he's gained 50 lbs. in 9 months, still has trouble with motivation and follow-through, and still hears voices, although they're manageable. Is there another medication you'd recommend for his negative symptoms?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Being_Mindful replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to justanswer.com. Let me start off by saying that the maximum FDA dose of seroquel is 800 mg daily. Now some psychiatrist may go above that dose and prescribe up to 1200 mg, but in my experience and also speaking to other people in the mental health profession, no one has ever prescribed more than 1200 mg, Now concerning your question about negative symptoms. When the newer generation of antipsychotics came out, initially researchers, drug companies, and psychiatrist thought that there were two major advantages of the newer generation of antipsychotics ( zyprexa, geodon, abilify, risperdal, and clozaril) over th older generation ( haldol, thorazine, prolixin, ect..) These two major advantages were that the newer generation addresses the negative symptoms and they are less likely to cause Parkinsonian symptoms. However, over time research has shown that there is actually only one advantage: less chance of developing Parkinsonian symptoms. However, research has not found that the newer generation actually improves negative symptoms.

Now the question is what to do to address the negative symptoms. Nowadays, some psychiatrist, without any alternative, are prescribing medications off labeled to address negative symptoms. One such medication is called Provigil. Provigil can be thought of being like a caffeine pill. It provides some people with extra energy and motivation. However, it has some side effects that one must be aware of if one is considering to prescribe the medication for some who hears voices. That is, it can exacerbate hallucinations. Some psychiatrist prescribe the medication with keeping in mind to be aware and look out for the possibility that the patient may start hearing more voices.