Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Could you tell me about ect treatment

Could you tell me about ect treatment
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

Yes , ofcourse .

ECT is Electroconvulsive Therapy , that is to a layman means shock treatment.

But ECT is not a horrifying treatment as it is made out to be .

In fact, it is the best and the safest treatment which is very effective in the treatment of Psychotic symptoms of Mania , Schizophrenia, Psychotic depression.and for the the treatment of Major Depressive disorder, Involusional Melancholia.

As opposed to the general public view that it is given without any precaution, i would tell you that , ECT IS GIVEN UNDER GENERAL ANAESTHESIA AND WITH THE USE OF MUSCLE RELAXANTS UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF A PSYCHAITRIST AND AN ANAESTHETIST.

In ECT , WHAT IS DONE IS THAT , convulsions (fits) are produced in body with the help of electric current and these convusions help in re-establishing the synapses(connections) between nerve cells which have become loose and are

probably responsible for the mental illness.

It is held over a span of 30 minutes , patient recovering fully , however patient needs to be kept nil orally for 5-6 hrs before ECT AND half hr prior ECT ANTICHOLINERGIC DRUGS IS INJECTED TO STOP SECRETIONS , IN ORDER TO PREVENT ASPIRATIONS.

SO YOU SEE ALL KIND OF PRECAUTIONS ARE TAKEN AND THE RESULTS OF ECT ARE HALLMARK OF ITS EXISTENCE AND ANY PSYCHIATRIST WOULD SAY YES TO ITS RIGHT USE.

Regards..

--------------------

Please Press the Accept Button if you feel satisfied with my answer and kindly leave a Positive Feedback.