Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I had been having awful symptoms from being on sertraline and

Customer Question

I had been having awful symptoms from being on sertraline and have been coming off very slowly and after being on 25 mg for about 2 weeks I stopped cold turkey because I could not take the way I was feeling. I would like to know the symptoms of withdrawal. I feel like I am going crazy. Please help me I need to explain again, how I am feeling to my Doctor Thank you very much in advance.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear about what you have been suffering from lately.

I have a few questions..

1) Since when you have been placed on sertraline.?

2) Any other drug that you have been taking along with it?

3) Currently you have become sluggish , drowsy , unable to concentrate? any hing else that you would like to add..

Has the drug been able to make you feel better?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
started sertraline dec. 2007 I am on plavix, synthroid 88 mg, lipitor 10 mg altace 10 mg 2 times a day, when I told my Doctor how I felt on sertraline and wanted off he started me on wellbutrin 150 mg so I could wean off sertraline.started wellbutrin I beleive end of May 2008 or june 2008 I stopped taking wellbutrin beginning November while still on sertraline sertraline never made me feel better in fact I started to feel worse shortly after starting but I thought those symptoms would go away when my body adjusted but that never happened and now I am having these awful withdrawal symptoms I also am having very bad dreams
Did you mention in your question that after taking sertraline 25mg for 2 weeks ,you stopped taking it abrubtly?

THOUGH , you accepted my query which was not the answer i wanted to give , so here is my answer. I need to tell you what you are supposed to do as of now.

Now ask your doctor to start you on Fluoxetine(Prozac) 20 mg , inititally 2 times a day for a few weeks along with anti anxiety drugs such as buspirone 5 mg also 2 times a day.

What happened with you was that you abrubtly stopped Sertraline , which you are not supposed to do and all the symtoms that you are having are because of that. Moreover , your doctor should have put you on Fluoxetine in the first place instead of sertraline as it has less side effects such as sleepiness, anxiety, tremors,restlessness, often caused by sertraline.

I hope you get well soon , and please stick to the treatment and do not leave it in between as it does more harm than good.