Being_Mindful
Being_Mindful, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Masters in Clinical Counseling & Completing Doctorate in Psyh. 3 Yrs. Exper w/ Diverse Populations
13655154

Is there any drug interaction between Geodon and Abilify used

Customer Question

Is there any drug interaction between Geodon and Abilify used in conjunction with eachother?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Being_Mindful replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to justanswer.com. There is no contraindication to take abilify in conjunction with geodon and taking abilify does not interfere with the effectiveness of geodon and vice versa. However, there could be an additive effect of their side effects. That is, although geodon and abilift are of the newer generation of antipsychotics and the newer generation is less likely to cause Parkinsonian symptoms, taking two medications with a low chance of causing Parkinsonian symptom can increase the risk of developing these symptoms in comparison to just taking one of them. Additionally, although abilify and geodon are the most weight neutral out of the newer generation of antipsychotics ( which includes geodon, abilify, zyprexa , risperdal, and clozapine), they are not weight neutral and there is the risk if gaining weight on these two medications as well. Now, if you are taking both medications, there is a greater chance of gaining weight and a greater likelihood of gaining more weight in comparison to just taking one of the medications.

Generally speaking, psychiatrist try to reach the maximum dose of a medications ( assuming that there are no side effects) and if there is a partial response to the medication once the maximum dose is reached, then to add another medication from the same group of medications. Therefore, a recommend that the patient discuss with her psychiatrist trying to reach the maximum dose of geodon or abilify ( assuming she is not experience any significant side effects) and if there is in an inadequate response, then to add another medication.