Dr Jef Burk
Dr Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP

i have been sick for about 6 weeks now at first it was a uinary

Customer Question

i have been sick for about 6 weeks now at first it was a uinary trac infection it made me so sick i lost like 13 pounds i wasnt eating it put me down to weighing 124. i have alot of anxiety and deppression im being treated for im on wellbutron it also has made me loose my appetite ive been on the wellbutron for 3 weeks today. just this past saturday 11/29 i started eating like 3 small meals a day im just wondering how long does it take for your body to start gaining weight back i just keep getting on the scale and it shows the same weight. im getting upset. last tuesday i went to my counslers appt. and i weighed 122.5 but i started my period on saturday and now it shows i weigh 120.. im confused and it makes me worry i just wanna know will i start gaining if i keep eating? thaks alot! Stacey King
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr Jef Burk replied 7 years ago.

Why are you so keen to gain weight?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just have this fear that i might have cancer because when i look stuff up on the internet it will say like loosing unexplained weight loss could be cancer and im scared. ive had a cbc blood test done and it came back normal and i had a urine culture done and it came back normal. and i also had a cat scan done on my abdomen it came back normal the doctor said that my pancreas was just a little bit enlarged but that could be due to the medicines im on. but im still scared cause people will tell me cancer doesnt always show up in bloodwork. and like im just scared that if im not gaining weight theres something wrong. i just need something to ease my mind i dont know what to do im constantly worrying. ive been getting on the scale like 3 times a day and im not gaining. i hope you dont think im crazy im just worried. do you think the wellbutrin is causing me not to gain cause i know i have no appetite but ive been making myself eat over the past few days. and still havent gained. i hope you can help! Thanks alot!! Stacey

Yes I did suspect that your concern was driven by inappropriate anxiety.

Statistically at the age of 38 the most common cause of death is a road traffic accident.

As you have no symptoms of cancer , have had normal bloods , urine and CAT scanning I must conclude that you do not have cancer.

This health anxiety that you have is an extension of your mental health problem - I suggest that you draw it to the attention of your own Dr and I would also suggest that you try and access CBT - cognitive behavioral therapy - as in the long run this is a superior treatment to medication.

Dr Jef