Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

Im 57 and have had bouts of depression all my life. My brother

I'm 57 and have had bouts of depression all my life. My brother and 3 of my children are also affected. I am on anti-depressants, and increase my dose when needed. I can go for months feeling ok, then it all goes horrible again, whether or not I take tablets, and lasts for a few weeks, during which time I cannot function effectively. For quite a while I have wanted to be assessed somehow: I feel I want to know what is wrong exactly, and why I feel so dreadfully negative. I do not know where to go for help, and I hope that you can advise me.

Who is prescribing your antidepressant medications? It would be important for you to talk to a psychiatrist about your depression, the fact that it waxes and wanes regardless of your meds (this suggests to me that your meds are not as effective as they could/should be), and what you should do about it.

Sometimes psychotherapy with a psychologist can be helpful too, to address negative thinking patterns and any relationship issues that arise due to depression. In particular, most research shows that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is most effective for treating depression.

I would suggest using a combination of these things- medication and therapy as this seems to have the best results for most people.