Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

I took 25 mg of Paxil CR for 4 years very succesfully for

Customer Question

I took 25 mg of Paxil CR for 4 years very succesfully for anxiety and OCD. About 2 months ago my DR. switched me to 40mg of prozac because I was having severe pms. The prozac has left me feeling anxious and depressed. I now think I should get off of the Prozac.   Should I resume the Paxil or just stop taking meds all together.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.

Dose range of Fluoxetine is from 20 to 80 mg /day for these disorders and sometimes higher in some patients for OCD.Response to a particular drug also depends on individual patients profile.

In your case one of the possibility may be that your dose is inadequate and may need to be increased (you should discuss it with your doctor).

Prozac has a long half life, that is it remain longer in the body after sudden discontinuation and thats why patients does not feel the intense withdrawal reaction with this drug as compared to other drug.But if you are noticing withdrawal reaction you should contact your doctor agian.
In my view considering your illness, you should not stop taking the drugs,you may request your doctor to re evaluate and increase the dose or since you were benefited from Paxil, he/ she may switch you over again on this drug.