Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

i am being seen for drug resistance depression. But I still

i am being seen for drug resistance depression. But I still feel very empty inside, like no life (I am disabled due to lupus and heart failure) and i live in the past. Nothing I do or try makes me feel full on the inside. not sure really how to explain it. just a very empty and dead feeling on the inside and living in the past on the outside. What would you say about that part, can it be more than just depression?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.

It seems you are already going through a lot.What you are describing are classic features of depression and indicate,that it is not treated fully(as you have mentioned that you are being treated for drug resistant depression!)

Currently you are on what medicines, what you have already tried?
What about Psychotherapy? - Have you gone through it

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

my pharmacist said i've been on at least 12 to 15 differnt meds over the past 2 years.

now i'm taking.

sequeal was 300mg now 100 mg qpm

abilify 10 mg qd

trazodone 600 mg q bedtime

clonazepam .5 mg

wellbutrin 150 mg q am

pristiq 100 mg q am.

I'm jiust figuring out i'm like 2 people, one on how i want people to see me and one on how i feel on the inside.

Any other ideas or anything what so ever. I've been doing this for over 24 months, closer to 28 months.

I did try talking to a female phd and it didn't go that well. She kept telling me what to do instad of listening to me, and told me I needed to go to church and such like that.

I need to know if I could possible have something else wrong wtih me and if so what could it be on a guess. Diagnosis not being official at all. I just need to know what is going on in my head.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hi Vance,

It seems you are on a lot of medicines along with lupus and history of heart failure?.

Your feelings according to my view,may be explained by what ones feels when one is suffering from depression but still has a fighting spirit and don't want other to see how he is feeling from inside !
There are depressive patients whom you will find always smiling and appearing cheerful from outside (smiling depressives)
As you have already mentioned, you have been on 12 to 15 different other medicines, your treating doctors must have already tried many other options available.

I wonder have you ever tried Psychotherapies specially Cognitive Behavior therapy.If not,why not to discuss with your doctor about this as a option.